Uncategorized

Brown: Verstappen, Raikkonen wouldn't have qualified for F1 superlicence either – Motorsport.com

In the wake of Alpine’s driver drama, Red Bull was willing to release Pierre Gasly from his 2023 contract to join the Enstone team, but only if it could get multiple IndyCar race winner Herta to replace him at AlphaTauri.
But with Herta on just 32 superlicence points out of the 40 needed to be allowed to race in F1, that avenue appears to have closed as the FIA announced it wouldn’t make any exceptions for the American.
That prompted angry comments from Red Bull’s Helmut Marko, who said it was “incomprehensible” that a winner of seven IndyCar races couldn’t get a licence and that it was a missed opportunity to get a talented American driver into F1.
McLaren’s Brown, who has an agreement with Herta on an F1 testing programme but would have been willing to release him to Alpine, thinks the superlicence rules need a complete review as he feels IndyCar is undervalued.
Both the IndyCar and FIA Formula 2 champion get the required 40 points for a superlicence, but from second place down IndyCar is valued less than F1’s main feeder series despite its stronger pedigree.
“I think the whole licensing system needs to be reviewed,” he told select media at Laguna Seca’s IndyCar finale. “I get that the rules are what the rules are and that rules shouldn’t be broken, but I question whether just because those are the rules that are in place now that those are the correct rules.
“Someone of Colton’s caliber, or Pato’s caliber or half the [IndyCar] field are Formula 1 capable. 
“If someone like Colton who’s won a lot of IndyCar races isn’t eligible for a superlicence then I think we need to review the superlicence system.”
Colton Herta, Andretti Autosport w/ Curb-Agajanian Honda
Photo by: Jake Galstad / Motorsport Images
Brown points out that world champions Max Verstappen and Raikkonen, who entered the sport at a young age and skipped racing at a Formula 2 or equivalent level entirely, wouldn’t have been eligible either had the current system been in place when they entered the sport.
“I don’t think Max Verstappen would have been eligible for a superlicence, I don’t think Kimi Raikkonen would have been eligible for a superlicence,” said Brown.
“So, if you go back and look, there are a couple of guys, world champions, who wouldn’t have got their superlicence in today’s environment.”
McLaren was willing to let Herta test with Alpine at the Hungaroring to further build up experience, but it is understood that run is also off now that an F1 seat won’t materialise.
Herta could yet be in for a free practice drive at the coming F1 races as McLaren still needs to fulfil its obligations to put a rookie in the seat for two Friday FP1 sessions.
Oscar Piastri, who has been hired by McLaren for 2023, is still contracted to Alpine, so therefore Herta and fellow IndyCar stars and McLaren F1 testers Pato O’Ward and Alex Palou are the prime candidates to fill those two slots.
“I would not rule Colton out but anything we do is going to be in the best interest of McLaren as opposed to helping out AlphaTauri!,” Brown added. “Who we put in depends on track knowledge. Obviously, Pato in Mexico is a scenario.”
Verstappen: Important to enjoy current success amid F1 win streak
How Lauda’s crash led to F1’s greatest ever comeback
Shwartzman set for Ferrari FP1 debut at US Grand Prix
From F1 Paddock Club to Monza points: Inside De Vries’ dream debut
The art of compromise an F1 race engineer has to master
Ferrari: FIA should allow more F1 engines after Monza penalty chaos
Ferrari Formula 1 chief Mattia Binotto believes the FIA needs to consider increasing the power unit allocation per season after almost half the grid took penalties at Monza last week.
F1 teams in race to use up rookie FP1 sessions
Formula 1 teams are in a race to fulfil their obligations to run a rookie in two FP1 sessions, with several yet to confirm their plans.
Herta doesn’t want to be “an exception” over F1 superlicence
Colton Herta says he didn’t want to get into Formula 1 by force majeure but by FIA offering greater points reward for IndyCar success.
Mercedes glad to see the back of F1’s high-speed tracks, says Russell
George Russell thinks Mercedes will feel glad to see the back of high-speed Formula 1 track layouts like Spa and Monza as it bids to end its win drought.
The F1 podium-finisher that gave Jordan stability in a year of chaos
The Hart-powered Jordan 194 gave the team hope that the good times were just around the corner. Its 1994 steed wasn’t the start of a move up F1’s pecking order – even if the car did earn the Silverstone team a first pole position. But, as STUART CODLING explains, it did provide a platform for Jordan to become a manufacturer-supported squad.
BRM V16: How F1’s greatest sound has returned to the track
The first of three new BRM V16s is bringing the greatest-sounding engine to a new audience – and back to the race track – at the Goodwood Revival this weekend. Here is the story of the ambitious 1950 Formula 1 project’s resurrection for historic competition
The juggling act that makes up an F1 team principal’s weekend
Have you ever wondered what a Formula 1 team principal actually does at a grand prix? GP RACING followed Aston Martin team principal Mike Krack to open a window into the TP’s race weekend world…
The F1 car concept dilemma that Mercedes must answer soon
Mercedes is yet to get on top of its troubled W13 Formula 1 car as it gets set to face its first season of the hybrid era without winning either of the titles. As the time comes to switch focus to the 2023 campaign, Mercedes faces a dilemma on whether or not it should stay the course with its current car philosophy or change tact altogether
Why Perez’s new-era F1 promise has deteriorated into disappointment
OPINION: Having earned a two-year extension to his Red Bull Racing contract, Sergio Perez appeared to have cracked the team’s hoodoo over its second seat. But of late the Mexican’s form relative to Max Verstappen has been disappointing, which could put him at risk of losing the race for third in the drivers’ standings to George Russell.
The late-race safety car issues F1 still needs to fix to move on from Abu Dhabi
OPINION: Formula 1’s safety car rules were thankfully followed in full at the 2022 Italian Grand Prix, but the situation reignited the controversy of the ending to the 2021 campaign in Abu Dhabi and left neutral fans without a teased grandstand finish. This then, is the perfect time to discuss alternatives to a much-maligned situation
How de Vries’ overdue F1 debut proved him worthy of a 2023 drive
When Alex Albon was taken ill on the Saturday morning of the Italian Grand Prix, Nyck de Vries was thrust into the limelight at Williams as he made a long-overdue grand prix debut. Having been on the cusp of Formula 1 for so long, his stellar run to the points at Monza demonstrated a tantalising prospect for the 2023 grid
Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings 2022
As Monza celebrated its 100th anniversary, the Temple of Speed witnessed two perfect 10s notched up by a pair of Dutch dynamites at this year’s Formula 1 Italian Grand Prix. But once again there were notable strugglers who would have been hoping for more

source

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may also like