Uncategorized

F1 news: Red Bull await FIA punishment over budget cap as new investigation underway – Express

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
are still waiting for the FIA to decide what their punishment will be after being found responsible for exceeding last year’s budget cap. The Austrian team are thought to have gone over the limit by less than £2million, which constitutes a minor breach of the £114m budget that was imposed at the start of the 2021 season.
Red Bull are expected to receive either financial sanctions or a minor sporting penalty as a result of their breach, which was revealed in the results of an FIA investigation into the financial data of all teams on Monday. They remain adamant that no wrongdoing took place, though, and have vowed to ‘carefully review’ the FIA’s findings in a desperate attempt to prove their innocence.
A financial penalty would see a fine imposed on Red Bull which they would be obligated to pay within a period of 30 days. If payment is delayed, the team in question will be banned from taking part in any future events until the fine has been settled. Meanwhile, the options available regarding a minor sporting penalty would include a reprimand, a reduction in testing time, a deduction of points for the season in question, suspension from an event or a reduction in their individual budget cap for next year.
Express Sport is on hand to keep you informed with all the latest news — follow our live updates below…
Red Bull are still waiting to find out how they will be punished by the FIA
Paul Di Resta has dismissed the notion that the FIA should be allowed to strip Max Verstappen of his title in 2021.
Before the judgment was handed down about Red Bull’s minor breach, the Scot explained why the FIA cannot, for sporting reasons, backdate the punishment.
“Is this good for Formula 1? No. Can you rewind the championship 10 months? I don’t believe that’s the right thing to do,” he told Sky Sports F1.
“You’ve got to move forward. You’ve got to have a hard and fast rule.”
Aston Martin driver Sebastian Vettel has painted a dark prediction for his legacy in F1, claiming “no one” will remember him in the future.
The four-time world champion is retiring at the end of the season and the German used the example of King Charles to prove why he will soon be a matter of the past when it comes to motorsport.
“I once heard someone say, ‘You will only be remembered until the last person who remembers you dies’,” he told Aston Martin’s Undercut.
“Let me put it this way: the UK has a new king, but he’s not the first King Charles – there were two more before him. Do you remember them? Probably not. There’s a limit.
“There will probably come a point when no one will remember me. Nothing lasts forever.”
Former F1 driver and Sky Sports pundit Martin Brundle believes the FIA have made an error in encouraging teams to overspend and urged them to abolish the terminology for a minor breach.
“What seems absolutely crazy to me is that a minor breach can be up to five per cent overspend on the cost cap,” said the Sky Sports F1 pundit.
“That is $7m and we know that is a massive upgrade on a car, maybe even a B-spec for some teams.
“So, that needs tightening up for starters, because what is the point in having $145m and then having this five per cent variant?”
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has praised the tireless work of his colleagues in helping Max Verstappen to wrap up his second Drivers’ Championship title in as many years at Suzuka over the weekend.
“To do what we did last year and turn up with a car as competitive as we had, being the last team to transition onto it, under massive pressure this year with all of the cost cap and everything else, there have been a lot of blood, sweat and tears go into it,” he said.
“I think everybody within the factory at Red Bull, all of our partners, all of our technical partners have just stepped it up another gear this year and it has been phenomenal.
“I think Adrian and the whole technical team, Pierre Wache, our technical director, Enrico Balbo, Craig Skinner [chief designer], Ben Waterhouse [head of performance engineering], I think this is the strongest technical team that we’ve ever had.
“And that’s testimony to the hard work that goes on behind the scenes that delivers this kind of performance.”
Pierre Gasly is expected to pick up an eye-watering salary of around £15m per year upon his move to Alpine at the end of the year.
That’s according to Sportune, who are reporting that Gasly’s two-year contract at Alpine will see him earn a similar wage to Fernando Alonso, the man he is replacing.
His new salary is a £5m increase on what he would have earned at AlphaTauri next year if he had stayed with the team, who reportedly pocketed a severance fee of £9m to cut his contract short.
Gasly was initially tied down to AlphaTauri until the end of 2023, which meant that Alpine needed to agree a financial package in order to secure his services.
Max Verstappen’s fellow drivers are painfully aware that he will only continue to improve in F1 as he grows older and wiser, while Red Bull are convinced that he is the best to ever grace the sport, according to three-time Grand Prix winner Johnny Herbert.
“He’s moulded that whole team around him, they totally think and believe he is the best ever,” said Herbert, as reported by Motorsport Week.
“I remember Michael Schumacher, it’s exactly the same situation and he’s only going to get stronger and stronger. That’s the scary bit for everybody else who’s going to be trying to beat him.”
Mercedes technical director Mike Elliott believes it is a ‘shame’ that Nyck de Vries will be joining AlphaTauri next year but is not worried about the Dutchman passing secrets over to the Red Bull-owned team upon his arrival.
“I’m very happy that Nyck has this opportunity,” said Elliott in an interview with Motorsport.com.
“It might be a shame to see where he’s going, but it’s no different. I think he deserves this chance. He has shown to be an excellent driver.
“It was brilliant to have him in the pit box. He is a very nice guy, really knows what it is all about and understands the car.
“You learn so quickly, what he did a year ago probably doesn’t even help him now. What he may be more likely to take from us is the way we work together, our processes and our systems.”
Fernando Alonso believes that Pierre Gasly should not have been punished for speeding under red flags at the Japanese Grand Prix, with the Alpine driver instead taking aim at the stewards for allowing a recovery vehicle to enter the circuit while cars were still making their way back into the pits.
“Totally supporting Pierre,” said Alonso, as reported by PlanetF1. “We are in the car, we know the speed we are doing, we know when we are in control.
“What we don’t expect is to see a tractor on the circuit, so that’s something that nothing to blame Pierre. I still don’t know where Carlos was, I didn’t see the tractor.
“There was no visibility. Behind the safety car I could not see the tractor, I didn’t see Carlos, so obviously it was the low point of the race and we need to understand that, it was a difficult afternoon for everyone.”
Fernando Alonso has jumped to the defence of Pierre Gasly
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner previously suggested that teams would break F1’s budget cap by ‘an extra 10 per cent’ when the rules were initially unveiled by the FIA two years ago.
“The problem is, so much is made about the figure of the cost cap that I believe it is missing the point,” wrote Horner in a Red Bull column back in 2020.
“F1 teams will always spend whatever budget they have available to them, plus an extra 10 per cent. It is impossible to compare the spending of Ferrari to Haas, of Mercedes to Racing Point or even from Red Bull to AlphaTauri.
“They are all completely different structures and business models. I believe the solution should be looking at what drives those costs up in the first place and that is the R&D cost of building and developing cars in the hope of being competitive.”
Ex-F1 driver Christian Danner is under no illusions regarding the severity of Red Bull’s budget cap saga despite the Austrian team only being found to have committed a ‘minor breach’ of last year’s spending limits.
“It will be very difficult to find an appropriate penalty, but I can imagine that points will be deducted,” he said, as reported by GrandPxNews.
“It’s really bad for everyone involved. Formula One and the teams want to work profitably, but this level of profitability can only be guaranteed over the next few years if the budget cap is adhered to.
“Otherwise we’ll go back to where we were years ago.”
Max Verstappen has urged Red Bull to avoid easing off the gas over the next few years in order to compete for more titles after establishing themselves as the new dominant force in F1 since the start of this year.
“I hope that we can be competitive for a few more years, I want to win more races, and potentially, I want to try and win more titles,” he told reporters after wrapping up his second Drivers’ Championship triumph in Japan.
“But of course, that’s not going to change what I’ve already achieved. It is something I’m really proud of. Everyone within the team, and everyone who is involved with us, they deserve even more than what we are showing at the moment.
“As long as we can keep them all together. I think we are capable of even more great seasons.”
Max Verstappen is desperate to win more titles with Red Bull
Charles Leclerc believes that the FIA should be looking for ways to reduce the ‘dangerous’ levels of spray created by cars in wet conditions, with the issue having been particularly apparent during the early stages of last weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix.
“A big problem with these cars is just the visibility,” said the Ferrari driver.
“So whatever we can do to try and improve the visibility and minimise the spray, especially for the cars behind, this will be hugely beneficial.
“I believe that sometimes we can actually run despite the conditions of the track but just because of the visibility, because it’s so dangerous being behind and you don’t see anything, we end up not running at all.
“Yeah, we should try and find a solution to try and minimise the spray.”
Martin Brundle has insisted that he would have liked to have seen the FIA open up on the sum of Red Bull’s expenditure in 2021, with the governing body yet to reveal specific details regarding the Austrian team’s financial outlay last year.
“It’s very disappointing that that information hasn’t been supplied today, remember we’re talking about the 2021 season, not this season,” Brundle told Sky Sports F1.
“So, quite why they haven’t been able to get together, now they know the details…
“Presumably there’s some squabbling going on behind the scenes to mitigate this and explain and come up with some reasoning, and it’s thoroughly disappointing that we’ve now had this announcement of what’s happened, but we don’t know the consequences.”
McLaren CEO Zak Brown has insisted that he did everything in his power to help Daniel Ricciardo improve his on-track performances but was ultimately left with no choice but to look for another driver after growing tired of the Aussie’s sub-par results.
“Ultimately we weren’t getting the results that we needed and we’re a year-and-a-half into this,” Brown told Kayo Sports.
“We’ve all tried extremely hard, we love Daniel, he’s great to work with and continues to be great to work with, but we’re in the results business and the results weren’t coming and we felt we tried everything.
“We don’t really know why it didn’t click, it’s kind of nobody’s fault. We gave it our best, he gave it his best, we just kind of ran out of things to try.”
Daniel Ricciardo will leave McLaren at the end of the year
Pierre Gasly was partly to blame for the incident that saw him narrowly avoid a recovery vehicle at the Japanese Grand Prix as a result of the AlphaTauri driver’s excessive speed under yellow and red flag conditions, according to Ralf Schumacher.
A retrospective 20-second penalty was handed down to Gasly in the immediate aftermath of the race, while he was also hit with two penalty points by the FIA for speeding under red flags.
“The topic surrounding Pierre Gasly was highly emotional. I can understand the drivers’ criticism, they have indicated they don’t want to see any of these tractors while there are still cars on the track,” wrote Schumacher in his Sky Germany column.
“Nevertheless, that doesn’t justify Gasly driving behind the field at 250 km/h at this point. This is anything but clever. I think both sides need to question each other.”
Hello and welcome to Express Sport‘s live coverage of the latest news, views and rumours from the world of F1.
We are still waiting to find out how Red Bull will be punished after it was revealed on Monday that they were responsible for a ‘minor breach’ of last year’s budget cap.
They were the only team to exceed the limit in 2021 and could face a range of sanctions including fines and sporting penalties, with the FIA still weighing up its next move.
The governing body is also conducting another investigation into the controversial incident that saw Pierre Gasly narrowly avoid crashing into a recovery vehicle at last weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix.
A number of drivers, team bosses and pundits have expressed deep concern over why the vehicle was allowed to be on the circuit, with the incident coming six years after Jules Bianchi was killed in a collision with a tractor under similar circumstances at Suzuka.
We’ll be on hand to keep you updated with the latest news throughout the day, so stay tuned!
See today’s front and back pages, download the newspaper, order back issues and use the historic Daily Express newspaper archive.

source

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may also like