Uncategorized

New York City mayor offers Liberty a site for F1 race – Motorsport.com

But Maffei quickly downplayed the chances of adding a fourth American event alongside Austin, Miami and Las Vegas, saying that trying to put on a race in the Big Apple was a “fight we don’t need to have.”
Former F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone tried for years to get a race either in or close to New York. In 2011 a site at Port Imperial in New Jersey, with the city skyline as a backdrop, was earmarked by promoter Leo Hindery.
The race was included on the 2013 F1 calendar and work had started on readying the venue before the project collapsed due to lack of funding.
Since taking over the F1 business in 2017, Liberty has prioritised adding races in “destination” U.S. venues. While the company was always interested in New York, and even took another look at New Jersey, the Miami and Las Vegas projects reached fruition first.
Speaking at a financial event in New York on Thursday, Maffei was asked by the moderator if a Grand Prix in the city was on the cards.
Maffei revealed that Mayor Adams, who was sworn in on January 1, has proposed a site on Randalls and Wards Island, an area of largely parkland and sports fields across the Harlem River to the north-east of Manhattan. However, he made it clear that the site wasn’t seen by Liberty as suitable.
“The Eric Adams administration has reached out asking for one,” said Maffei “I think that’s very difficult. Their proposal, Randalls Island, is probably not our perfect venue.
“You know, a lot of time and money was spent here 15-20 years ago [sic], including by Leo Hindery, one of my predecessors, trying to build one out over in Hoboken.
“I think the reality is street races in a place like New York are just very, very, very hard. Las Vegas is one of the few places in the United States you could probably get a street race done, it has a different mentality.
“New York is a wonderful venue, but it’s hard to see that they’re going to shut Central Park for us!”
Red Bull Racing RB7 in New York
Photo by: Red Bull Content Pool
When the moderator said he would like to see a New York race, Maffei replied: “I suspect there are a few other groups which might not, so probably a fight we don’t need to have.”
Meanwhile Maffei insisted that the inaugural Miami GP had been a great success, while conceding that there were issues that the organisation has to address for 2023.
“I think overall a great success, demand was crazy,” he said. “The number of people who have said to me that it was sporting event they ever went to, all this.
“Were there logistics issues around a first time race? [For example] drivers don’t love everything about the track, which is not unusual, or the Paddock Club hospitality and security. We’ll see. There are things to be worked through.
“I think the [Miami] Dolphins, our partners there, did a great job overall. I think they’re very aware of the problems or issues that arose, but are very fixable.
“But the TV experience, the excitement, the overall tone in Miami was wildly positive. I mean, crazy good. And I don’t think that’s going away. So I think you work through the first year issues, and it’s going to be a great, great, great event.”
Regarding Miami promoter Tom Garfinkel’s admission that the first race generated a loss Maffei said: “I think it’ll be very profitable for the Dolphins. I mean, their P&L [profit and loss] and our P&L are a little different.
“But they have a 10-year deal. I think they’ll make a lot of money.”
Sicard to start in FIA sporting director role at Monaco GP
Sainz says F1 2022 cars need rethink over long-term health worries
Albon explains why he held up Leclerc on drying Monaco F1 track
Red Bull open to evolving RB18 F1 car characteristics in title fight
The highs and lows of F1’s latest supersub Hulkenberg
The mistakes putting Ferrari’s bid to end its F1 title drought in jeopardy
Albon explains why he held up Leclerc on drying Monaco F1 track
Why F1’s top bosses are thinking about a “bigger future”
FIA announces exit of F1 executive director Bayer
The mistakes putting Ferrari’s bid to end its F1 title drought in jeopardy
OPINION: After taking an early lead in the 2022 Formula 1 title race, Ferrari and Charles Leclerc have together made a series of high-profile mistakes to give Red Bull an advantage after the opening seven races. Here’s why Ferrari cannot afford to make any more errors this season…
How Perez shaded Verstappen in Monaco and earned new F1 contract
OPINION: One week on from getting a ruthless Red Bull team orders call at Barcelona, Sergio Perez delivered the team’s sixth Monaco Grand Prix victory and earned a two-year contract extension. This success backs up discernible improvements the team has noticed in driver who is now his country’s most successful Formula 1 racer.
Monaco Grand Prix Driver Ratings 2022
Accuracy is more important than ever on a street circuit, and on Monte Carlo’s sodden streets, several drivers stepped up to produce superb performances in Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix. But on a track where overtaking is famously difficult, many were already resigned to a difficult afternoon by their qualifying performances
The six key F1 moments that meant Perez won Leclerc’s Monaco GP
After retiring from the lead in Spain with the failure of his turbo and MGU-H, Charles Leclerc looked set to bounce back in style in Monaco. He’d done the hard work in qualifying by securing the all-important pole position and led the wet early phases, but his Ferrari team made critical mistakes in tyre strategy that handed the race to Red Bull and Sergio Perez
Why 2022 could be Leclerc’s best chance to end his Monaco F1 curse
Charles Leclerc’s ill-fortune at his home Formula 1 race is well-established. But his single lap pace and over longer runs during Friday practice will leave the Ferrari driver upbeat that he can make up for his Barcelona disappointment by finally recording a finish and perhaps even banking 25 world championship points in Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix…
The inevitable consequence of the Liberty F1 popularity boom
Sell out crowds at Formula 1 races are the norm rather than the exception these days, as grand prix racing is enjoying a massive boom under Liberty Media. But the Spanish Grand Prix highlighted numerous issues some circuits may face as demand for F1 soars
The danger for Red Bull in its Barcelona F1 team orders choice
OPINION: Red Bull walked into a team orders saga on its way to taking a Spanish Grand Prix 1-2 last weekend, where it took the lead of the 2022 Formula 1 world championships for the first time. But its decisions have added an element of risk to later races.
Why Mercedes’ Spanish GP gains aren’t as grand as they seemed
Mercedes’ strong showing in last weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix prompted team boss Toto Wolff to say it had halved its deficit to the leaders and its Formula 1 title chances were back on after a rocky start to the 2022 campaign. But a closer inspection of the team’s performance suggests its gains aren’t as grand as they first appeared

source

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may also like