Uncategorized

Ricciardo denies signing F1 reserve deal for ’23, rules out IndyCar move – Motorsport.com

Ricciardo has been considering his future options after confirming back in August that he would be leaving McLaren at the end of the season, one year before the end of his contract.
The eight-time grand prix winner has since accepted he won’t be racing in F1 next year but has been linked with a potential reserve role to support one of the existing teams.
During Sky Sports’ coverage of qualifying for the United States Grand Prix, it was suggested that Ricciardo could return to his former team Red Bull in a possible reserve role.
Asked after the session if he had an agreement to become a reserve driver for a team next season, Ricciardo replied: “I don’t, I don’t. For now, everything is just rumours.
 “Am I talking? Yes. But there’s no pen on paper or anything like that yet.”
Ricciardo said he would “still be around” as “I still have ambitions for 2024” when he will look to make a full-time return to racing.
“So I won’t completely disconnect from the sport, but obviously nothing’s guaranteed for ’24,” he added. “Like, I don’t have a seat that I can say I’m definitely going to be driving.
“But I’ll still be around and trying to put work in to be back.”
When Ricciardo’s McLaren exit was announced, a number of teams still had vacant seats for 2023, but the driver market has since moved and filled up the drives.
With Williams revealing on Saturday that it plans to field Logan Sargeant in 2023 if he gains enough points for an FIA superlicence, it leaves Haas as the only team with a free seat.
But Ricciardo appeared to distance himself from possibly making a switch to the American team, saying: “With what’s currently available, I feel like I’m better off sticking to the plan I have and aiming for something else.”
Daniel Ricciardo, McLaren
Photo by: Mark Sutton / Motorsport Images
Ricciardo has been embracing American culture over the United States Grand Prix race weekend, entering the paddock on horseback on Thursday wearing a star-spangled jacket.
It prompted former F1 driver Romain Grosjean to tweet that Ricciardo was “made for IndyCar”, having made a successful switch himself to the American series last year after leaving F1.
But when asked by Motorsport.com if he would consider making a move to IndyCar, Ricciardo replied: “F**k that. Ovals scare me.
“My Formula 1 career-slash-ambition is not over, so that’s really like first and foremost. I don’t want to deviate, I would say primarily for that reason. But also ovals, nah.
“Ten years ago, I would have said yes. I’m OK to admit that I’m not OK with ovals.”
He added that even a road and street course programme would not be of interest, chiefly because he remains determined to stay within the F1 world.
“They look fun, but I think because I’m just not out of F1, I haven’t really entertained it,” said Ricciardo.
“The romanticising part of it, like America and all that, would be fun. But yeah. It’s more of a fantasy.”
F1 qualifying results: Carlos Sainz takes United States GP pole
2022 F1 United States Grand Prix – How to watch, start time & more
Alpine to protest Alonso F1 penalty after losing US GP points
Alonso loses F1 points finish with penalty as Haas protest succeeds
Connecting two of Ferrari’s favourite F1 sons: Villeneuve and Leclerc
Ricciardo exit proof of F1’s brutal nature, says Sainz
Ricciardo wishes F1 could be more flexible with start times
The key considerations Ricciardo must weigh up ahead of a crucial chapter
Tasman Series field taking shape
The field for the 2022 S5000 Tasman Series is taking shape ahead of the opening round on the Gold Coast this weekend.
The Bend appoints new CEO
Former Adelaide 500 GM Alistair McDonald has been appointed CEO of The Bend Motorsport Park.
Alpine to protest Alonso F1 penalty after losing US GP points
Alpine will protest the penalty handed to Fernando Alonso after the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix, claiming it is invalid as Haas missed the deadline to take action.
Natori to make SUPER GT return in Motegi finale
Former Honda junior Teppei Natori will make his first SUPER GT appearance of the season in next weekend’s season finale at Motegi.
The questions and concerns resulting from F1’s relentless growth plan
OPINION: Formula 1 seems determined to grow and grow and has announced a planned 24-race calendar for next season that will be its biggest ever. But is there a risk, asks MATT KEW, that too much of a good thing could end up being detrimental to the championship?
The unavoidable element that all F1 drivers need to rise above
Formula 1’s biggest talents can lean heavily on their ability but, without a slice of luck, results won’t go in their favour. And Lady Luck has played her role this season in helping one driver start an F1 career – but, equally, put an early end to several drivers’ title aspirations
The 10 steps Ferrari needs to take to be a real F1 challenger
Max Verstappen most likely would have won the 2022 Formula 1 world championship even without Ferrari’s blunders and miscues. The team has much to work on if it’s to mount a challenge in the years ahead
The “borderline” team compromise that staved off an F1 crisis
Formula 1’s budget cap was heralded as a radical advance, the saviour of smaller teams, and the pathway to a brighter commercial future for all. So why were so many teams so keen to either break it or negotiate a raise? As MARK GALLAGHER reveals, it’s not just about the cost of crash repairs.
Mika Hakkinen: An F1 life in pictures
At the turn of the century Formula 1 became the Mika and Michael show as Mika Hakkinen claimed two world championships by going wheel-to-wheel with Michael Schumacher. Over a collection of images from his F1 career, the Flying Finn shares some cherished memories with MAURICE HAMILTON about his route to the top, annoying Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost, and that overtake in Spa…
The one thing that can’t be sacrificed amid Red Bull’s F1 overspend controversy
OPINION: The FIA revealed this week that Red Bull breached Formula 1’s cost cap, throwing the team into controversy. But why did its calculation put it several million dollars below the cost cap limit when the FIA deemed it to be over? And what will the governing body do as a sanction? What happens next could have vital implications for the very future of the world championship
The steps the FIA must take to restore its authority inside and outside F1
OPINION: After Spa and Abu Dhabi in 2021, Formula 1 has another saga to address after the 2022 Japanese Grand Prix. And it’s one that centres on the decisions of motorsport’s governing body, which is having what good it does do damaged in the court of public opinion. Here are some steps that would address this and hopefully satisfy all parties
How to relieve Formula 1’s extreme wet-weather caution
With three Formula 1 races having been disrupted by rain so far this season, the series has been made to look excessively cautious in the way it dealt with wet conditions. But what can be done to alleviate disruption like that which was seen in Suzuka?

source

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may also like