Uncategorized

Why Alpine only has itself to blame for its F1 driver market blunders – Motorsport.com

For all of Alpine’s confidence about the case and its swipes at Piastri’s apparent lack of integrity, the team has to face the truth: its errors have caused it to lose a two-time F1 world champion and one of the brightest junior talents for many years in the space of just four weeks.
Fernando Alonso’s shock switch to Aston Martin for 2023 caught everybody out, including Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer, who only found out when the press release was issued despite claiming to have been part of the negotiations (something Alonso denies).
But despite talks stalling, Alpine did not look to budge from what it was putting on the table for Alonso. After all, it had Piastri waiting in the wings; Alpine thought Alonso needed it more than Alpine needed Alonso.
But Sebastian Vettel’s retirement announcement and Aston Martin’s interest in Alonso undid everything for Alpine. The backup plan backfired spectacularly. It had lost Alonso, and in truth, it had already lost Piastri weeks ago. Alpine just didn’t know it yet.
The CRB ruling revealed the agreement in place between Piastri and McLaren was signed on July 4, the Monday after the British Grand Prix and almost a month before Alonso’s exit from Alpine was announced. It was also nine days before Daniel Ricciardo’s statement on Instagram reaffirming his commitment to McLaren.
Piastri is understood to have initially signed a reserve deal with McLaren for 2023, but given its concerns about Ricciardo and the way things were moving, it is likely to have included clauses or elements that factored in a promotion to a race seat should one become available.
Fernando Alonso, Esteban Ocon, Oscar Piastri, Alpine
Photo by: Alpine
A lot has been said about loyalty – or lack of it – from young drivers towards teams that support their F1 careers throughout the Piastri saga. But that has to go in both directions. Yes, Alpine was giving Piastri extensive testing and hoping to make him the best-prepared F1 rookie for some time. Yet by being too focused on keeping Alonso for 2023, it failed to ensure it had everything sewn up with Piastri, whose camp would understandably have grown so frustrated that they pursued options elsewhere.
This is where McLaren sensed an opportunity to swoop in. Regardless of your views on how things unravelled with Daniel Ricciardo, the team simply wanted to secure the best driver line-up possible for the future. It could offer Piastri something that Alpine, as of July 4, simply was not willing to: a race seat for 2023.
Alpine must ask itself some serious questions about this whole saga. It has been a disaster for the team, particularly for all of the confidence that was shown publicly. McLaren’s approach of simply saying it would wait for the CRB’s ruling might have been a bit underwhelming and failed to generate any headlines, but it also did the trick.
As the old saying goes: “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”
Even if the likes of Szafnauer and Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi were convinced Piastri’s agreement with the team, allegedly signed last November, why have they been proved wrong? What information was given to them that the CRB unanimously ruled against?
A big review needs to be undertaken to get to the bottom of it, but its handling of both Piastri and Alonso – who said there was always a “strange feeling” in his talks about a contract extension – surely points to shortcomings that must be overcome for the future.
Fernando Alonso, Alpine
Photo by: Erik Junius
The whole saga has also unfairly overshadowed Piastri’s arrival into F1. Here is a driver with a junior CV that would be the envy of anyone else on the F1 grid, with bags of running under his belt, and is fully deserving of his opportunity to shine. It was really hard to find anyone with a word to say against Piastri prior to this whole saga.
Instead, Piastri has sparked a viral internet trend through his “I understand that, without my agreement…” tweet, and faced criticism for his apparent lack of loyalty to Alpine.
The whole saga will surely rumble on as a talking point until he finally makes his debut in Bahrain next March, at which point he will likely be one of the most scrutinised rookies to reach F1 in years. It’s only going to have added pressure. It will also make for an awkward final few months for Piastri as Alpine’s reserve driver.
And Alpine is now left, at best, with its third choice to partner Esteban Ocon next year. As Motorsport.com revealed last week, AlphaTauri’s Pierre Gasly appears to be the leading option, with talks taking place between Red Bull and Alpine over terms to get him out of his contract that runs to the end of next year. But even that is coming with a lot of question marks given the previous tensions between Ocon and Gasly. It’s hardly a perfect fit.
When the Alpine name joined the F1 grid for 2021 after the rebranding of Renault’s works operation, a 100-race plan was put in place to climb to the summit of F1. Having lost both its F1 past in Alonso and its future in Piastri, all by its own failings, the team needs to hold itself accountable and do better in the future to avoid repeating such huge blunders.
Dutch GP practice as it happened
Seidl: Piastri a “perfect fit” for McLaren in F1
Aston: No change in F1 “ultimate professional” Vettel
Ferrari: FIA should allow more F1 engines after Monza penalty chaos
Connecting two of Ferrari’s favourite F1 sons: Villeneuve and Leclerc
Doohan: Alpine F1 discussions add motivation to perform in F2
Alpine expects “massive” downforce step from new Singapore F1 floor
The Alpine success story that’s been overshadowed by its driver market chaos
Doohan: Alpine F1 discussions add motivation to perform in F2
Jack Doohan says the discussions around his future with Alpine have served as motivation for him to perform in Formula 2, but claims they have not added any pressure.
Aston: No change in F1 “ultimate professional” Vettel
Aston Martin says there has been no change in Sebastian Vettel’s approach since announcing his retirement from Formula 1 at the end of the year, calling him the “ultimate professional.”
Monaco GP extends F1 contract until 2025
Formula 1 will continue to race in Monaco until at least 2025, after a new contract was announced on Tuesday.
F1 announces record 24-round calendar for 2023 season
Formula 1 has revealed a 24-race calendar for 2023 – which begins in Bahrain in March and finishes in Abu Dhabi in November.
The surprise biggest indicator of Ferrari’s 2022 F1 points downfall
Looking back to the early races of 2022 and Ferrari’s challenge to Red Bull and Max Verstappen was going better than many expected. But it has lost so much ground a surprise rival can even pip Charles Leclerc to runner-up in the standings if given the chance
The F1 podium-finisher that gave Jordan stability in a year of chaos
The Hart-powered Jordan 194 gave the team hope that the good times were just around the corner. Its 1994 steed wasn’t the start of a move up F1’s pecking order – even if the car did earn the Silverstone team a first pole position. But, as STUART CODLING explains, it did provide a platform for Jordan to become a manufacturer-supported squad.
BRM V16: How F1’s greatest sound has returned to the track
The first of three new BRM V16s is bringing the greatest-sounding engine to a new audience – and back to the race track – at the Goodwood Revival this weekend. Here is the story of the ambitious 1950 Formula 1 project’s resurrection for historic competition
The juggling act that makes up an F1 team principal’s weekend
Have you ever wondered what a Formula 1 team principal actually does at a grand prix? GP RACING followed Aston Martin team principal Mike Krack to open a window into the TP’s race weekend world…
The F1 car concept dilemma that Mercedes must answer soon
Mercedes is yet to get on top of its troubled W13 Formula 1 car as it gets set to face its first season of the hybrid era without winning either of the titles. As the time comes to switch focus to the 2023 campaign, Mercedes faces a dilemma on whether or not it should stay the course with its current car philosophy or change tact altogether
Why Perez’s new-era F1 promise has deteriorated into disappointment
OPINION: Having earned a two-year extension to his Red Bull Racing contract, Sergio Perez appeared to have cracked the team’s hoodoo over its second seat. But of late the Mexican’s form relative to Max Verstappen has been disappointing, which could put him at risk of losing the race for third in the drivers’ standings to George Russell.
The late-race safety car issues F1 still needs to fix to move on from Abu Dhabi
OPINION: Formula 1’s safety car rules were thankfully followed in full at the 2022 Italian Grand Prix, but the situation reignited the controversy of the ending to the 2021 campaign in Abu Dhabi and left neutral fans without a teased grandstand finish. This then, is the perfect time to discuss alternatives to a much-maligned situation
How de Vries’ overdue F1 debut proved him worthy of a 2023 drive
When Alex Albon was taken ill on the Saturday morning of the Italian Grand Prix, Nyck de Vries was thrust into the limelight at Williams as he made a long-overdue grand prix debut. Having been on the cusp of Formula 1 for so long, his stellar run to the points at Monza demonstrated a tantalising prospect for the 2023 grid

source

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may also like